Tuesday 4 September 2012

CQ14 at the Harrogate Show


Undoubtedly CQ14 star of the show was Heather Pratt, seen here with her award, well-deserved, for Best Machine Quilting, for her quilt Mingulay - a Hundred Years On, which also came third in the Large Wallhanging category:


Heather has also sold her first quilt - parting with it must have been difficult but it has gone to a good home.  Her other quilt came second in the Theme category - again well deserved - pipped to the post only by Hilary Beattie's quilt which was runner-up to Best in Show.  Congratulations Heather - good to have such a talented quilter in our midst!


Other successes - Janet Bottomley came third in the Cot Quilt section with this lovely quilt using the crumbs technique (improvised piecing using leftover scraps).


Congratulations Janet, both on this and on the Judge's Merit for the group quilt made using leftover blocks from your group's International Quilting Day event earlier this year.


And to my delight and amazement I got a Judge's Choice for my Green Fuse hanging:


I also entered Sea Edges (having actually managed to finish it in the end!)  Kate Smith was kind enough to say she liked it best of my quilts (it's my favourite too, I must admit, but it tends to hide in the background in quilt shows).


 ...and a miniature quilt, Just for Fun, which to my amazement got third in the Miniature group


... which left me feeling rather embarrassed as I really felt Davina's mittens should have won the Miniature prize (it is much, much better than mine)


 Davina also got my vote for the piece with the most entertainment value - her theme entry contains numerous items beginning with 's' - how many can you see?


I think we've done pretty well especially for a new group.  But we do need more people to enter next year...

2 comments:

  1. Well done everyone! Lovely photos Sandra. I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all our winners! It's been so nice to see your works in progress, and now to see your well-deserved recognition.

    ReplyDelete