Sunday 6 May 2012

Hello from Sandra

Hi there - thought I'd better introduce myself.  I'm Sandra and I am the convenor of this group (for those who don't know me!).  I did my first patchwork (a maxi-skirt in large hexagons, pieced over paper) in 1971, continued with it intermittently until the mid 1980s when I learnt how to do it properly.  When I had to retire prematurely from teaching through ill health (ME/CFS) in 1993, it was a lifesaver: even when I couldn't do much else (at the time I couldn't even knit because my hand-muscles gave out) I could always do a bit of hand-stitching and it really helped to be able to play with colour and design.  A few years later I was once again able to sit at the sewing-machine again and I was off, eventually taking City and Guilds with Christine Shaw at Askham Bryan College and some time later starting a business dyeing fabrics for dyers and quilters, which lasted for about three years before I had to give it up (good at dyeing, hopeless at running a business especially the finances!)

Nowadays I'm properly retired and spend a lot of time sewing and the remainder of it procrastinating. I joined Contemporary Quilt in 2008 and really enjoy it especially the companionship of like-minded people.  I'm based in Leeds and am also a member of Alwoodley Quilters, as well as occasionally attending CQ groups in Manchester and Cheshire.

As well as quilting I read a lot and do the occasional bit of drawing and painting (not very good but I learn a lot from doing it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment